CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF TMA!
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

[ 24 posts ] 
PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 10:27 am 
Seering.425

Starcraft II Gateway: United States
Several times over the past few weeks, we haven't been able to start a scrim.

Someone creates a lobby, gets eight players, and starts the game. Then the lobby crashes, kicking all the players. Sometimes we can remake and it will work; sometimes it won't start no matter who remakes it.

It's very frustrating to find eight quality MA players and not be able to play because of a technical bug.

Anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?

Report this post

PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 10:35 am 
ModeratorMap DeveloperBeta TesterDonor
[TryHrd] Akash.566
Map Editor

Hmm, not sure why it happens but a possible fix might be to "open to public" before starting - it could be a bug that only affects private lobbies.

Or, it could just be one of the players in the lobby having a bad connection.

Or it could be bnet :C

Report this post

PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 6:19 pm 
Donor

I hear you this has happened a few times.

Specifically with certain players I have noticed a trend.

I also suspect observers make it a for sure thing to happen.

Report this post

PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 6:31 pm 
Seering.425

This sounds like a practical workaround.

If one of the scrimmers becomes lobby host, they could remove any pub players and invite the rest. You'd need to be quick on the kick if a pub joins in the last spot.

One of the matches did have an observer and crashed. There was a different one without an observer that wouldn't start either.

Report this post

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 1:37 pm 
Seering.425

The lobby kick bug is happening to both Created and Joined lobbies. It might be a conflict with one of the BNET updates.

Are there any MA developers still active? Or anyone who has contact with them?

Report this post

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 3:11 pm 
[TryHrd] Akash.566
Map Editor

Maybe it only happens at a certain time? I've played a bit over the past few days, at varying times between 5pm and 2am EST and have yet to notice it in a public lobby.

I'll try to recreate it if I can.

Also, it might be due to a specific player, especially if you keep scrimming with the same group. Anyone who is there every time it crashes?

Report this post

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 4:51 pm 
Seering.425

I haven't noticed the time of day affecting it.

It could be related to a specific player or players. Sometimes when it crashes and a different set of eight players joins the new lobby it will work.

Seems like it has been happening more often, even when joining the lobby for a regular pub game.

Report this post

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 6:38 pm 
[TryHrd] Akash.566
Map Editor

I haven't been able to recreate it so far. Could you elaborate a bit more on the specifics?

For example, does it happen when the countdown finishes, or as soon as someone hits start/the lobby is full?

Also, does bnet notify you that you were kicked from the lobby or is there no message?

Report this post

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 7:01 pm 
[ClIQ] HaydenEliza

Akash wrote:
I haven't been able to recreate it so far. Could you elaborate a bit more on the specifics?

For example, does it happen when the countdown finishes, or as soon as someone hits start/the lobby is full?

Also, does bnet notify you that you were kicked from the lobby or is there no message?

HI Akash!

Report this post

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 7:38 pm 
Seering.425

Once the lobby is full and the countdown hits 0, all the players are kicked from the lobby.

There's no error message.

Sometimes it starts fine; sometimes it doesn't. I can't figure out any pattern to it.

Report this post

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 8:20 pm 
[TryHrd] Akash.566
Map Editor

hayden wrote:
HI Akash!
Hi <3

seering wrote:
the countdown hits 0
Dam, that makes it sound like a bnet glitch. Dunno if it's possible to fix then. I wonder if other custom games have the same issue

Report this post

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 2:23 am 
[TryHrd] Akash.566
Map Editor

Just some notes in case anyone decides to look at this in the future:

Spoiler:
1. The bug is as follows: All 8 players are in the lobby and the countdown has been started (either due to a full public lobby or a host-started private lobby). The timer counts down to 0, at which point all players are kicked from the lobby with no message.

2. The first group was: MatPat Seering HaydenEliza Akash Sasin SatanS KobraKlutch ExGPunnisher

3. The second group was the same as the first, but MatPat was replaced with ExGnoobalopz

4. The third group was the same as the second, but HaydenEliza was replaced with SomeDouche.

5. The game would start with 7 people (regardless of who the players were), but not with 8 or 9 (spectator).

6. We tried individually inviting, having 4 parties of 2 join, 1 party of 8 join, 1 party of 7 join+invite the last, 1 party of 7 join+last snipes, all separately snipe/join a pub. All of these were tried in both public and private lobbies.

7. We were able to play Nexus Wars with a party of 8, but not Relic's Testmap or Pictionary.

8. We finally got a game of MA started by all separately joining a normal pub which had the following players: Ronaldo Aqua Akash (some_pub) HaydenEliza SatanS Sasin SomeDouche. Notably, we were missing MatPat Seering Kobra and the ExG guys.

9. It's hard to say for sure, but my idea is that this bug might be specific to Seering in full MA lobbies, or it might be a coincidence based on the late timing/the fact that Blizzard is doing scheduled maintenance later today. I say this because Seering has seen the bug many times, but this is the first time I've seen it. I heard that Kobra and the ExG guys are usually not present for scrims, and MatPat wasn't here for most of our attempts. I still have doubts though, because it seems like it would be a big mistake on Blizzard's end to allow a single player to d/c the whole lobby.

10. Alternatively, it's a Bnet bug.

tl;dr it's possible that the bug is Seering-related, or Bnet-related

@Seering - Maybe try playing on a smurf, and see if that changes anything; also, I think you mentioned using a VPN? Maybe that has something to do with it.

One thing we did not try was a full private MA lobby with Seering replaced. Try this next time if you guys get a chance.

**Edit: It's a bnet bug, see: Arcade games booting - StarCraft II Forums

Last edited by Akash on August 30th, 2017, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 11:09 am 
Donor

*Points finger at Seering*

Although it's probably not his fault, I just think its funny.

That was really frustrating to say the least :/

Report this post

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 4:33 pm 
Seering.425

Quote:
it's possible that the bug is Seering-related

Quote:
*Points finger at Seering*

OK, that's it! I'm not saying another word until I get a lawyer! I KNOW MY RIGHTS! YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME MY PHONE CALL!!!

*sweats profusely*

Report this post

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 4:34 pm 
Seering.425

In all seriousness, I doubt it's just me. I played a scrim right before this one with MatPat. It started without any problem and I didn't change any settings between Successful Scrim #1 and Failed Scrim #2.

But it's possible. Is there a way I can manually delete the MA map file from my harddrive and force the game to download a new copy?

Another idea is to hire Dog the Bounty Hunter to track down one of these MA developers and get them to republish the MA map. No changes needed, just publish a "new" version of the map. There might be some hiccup with recent Bnet updates and older arcade maps.

Report this post

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 6:28 pm 
[TryHrd] Akash.566
Map Editor

seering wrote:
OK, that's it! I'm not saying another word until I get a lawyer! I KNOW MY RIGHTS! YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME MY PHONE CALL!!!

*sweats profusely*

D: I didn't mean it like that haha

Like I said, it's hard to pinpoint the exact source, just thinking out loud in case it gives anyone else any ideas :P

As far as I know, private arcade maps are hidden to make them harder to hack/steal (which was a problem in the past). You could always delete everything and reinstall, but that's a pain.

Republishing might work, but I think only Josin has permissions to publish to bnet since it's his account the map is under. I don't have any direct contact with him, but I'll send a PM to the devs

Report this post

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 10:02 am 
tylercm.1154

Can someone publish the game with a different name instead cuz the developers cant work on it

Report this post

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 11:36 am 
Gardul.1228

Game is unplayable.. cannot have a full lobby. FWIW, this might actually be the end of MA

Report this post

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 4:47 pm 
Seering.425

Looks like this is a widespread problem for a lot of arcade games.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/20758857066

Report this post

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 5:07 pm 
[TryHrd] Akash.566
Map Editor

Nice find seering, and I like how Panda posted in that thread lol

Sucks that it's a bnet issue, we basically have to wait for their response then :/

On the bright side, looks like you're clear :D

Report this post

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 11:09 pm 
Donor

The problem is even worse now. You can only start a game with 6 or 7 people, not 8.

Which is too bad because tonight there were a lot of good players on :/

Report this post

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 12:38 pm 
Map DeveloperTournament Official
[TryHrd] Mythic.410
Map Editor

Seering wrote:
In all seriousness, I doubt it's just me. I played a scrim right before this one with MatPat. It started without any problem and I didn't change any settings between Successful Scrim #1 and Failed Scrim #2.

But it's possible. Is there a way I can manually delete the MA map file from my harddrive and force the game to download a new copy?

Another idea is to hire Dog the Bounty Hunter to track down one of these MA developers and get them to republish the MA map. No changes needed, just publish a "new" version of the map. There might be some hiccup with recent Bnet updates and older arcade maps.

Republishing the map will probably cause more problems than not - we'll end up losing all the reviews and hours played. As Akash posted, it looks like this is an issue on Blizzard's side with games that start with 8 players.

[dunno]

Report this post

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 2:32 pm 
Seering.425

Thank you for responding, Mythic!

Hopefully, you know more about the inner workings between custom arcade maps and Bnet than the rest of us. We've just been spitballing ideas and venting frustration.

"Republish" was the wrong word. What about a patch/update -- something that makes people re-download the updated map through Bnet? Has there ever been a case where a recent Bnet update caused older arcade games to stop working?

I have no idea if this would help (or hurt), but it would at least eliminate one possibility.

Report this post

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 6:44 pm 
Seering.425

Looks like it's fixed! Just played a few games with a full lobby of 8 players that started fine.

Report this post

[ 24 posts ]