All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Marine Analysis
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 2:09 am 
ModeratorMap DeveloperBeta TesterDonor
[TryHrd] Akash.566
Map Editor

Starcraft II Gateway: United States
I've been experimenting with different marine builds recently, inspired by watching Sasin and discussing marine epics with Darkness. So, I ran some tests - spreadsheet below:
Spoiler:

(Link to image: https://i.imgur.com/9X75VN0.png)
All tests were run using 100 marines + 1 vulture loaded inside 1 medivac for each side. Blink micro was used when the test started to form a concave.

The results are pretty interesting:
-It seems that rapidfire is just straight-up better than both untouchable and blink when it comes to marine vs marine, whether you rush to it or get it lategame. If melee is involved, it would lean even more heavily in favor of rapidfire.

-A blink rush beats a rush to untouchable, but untouchable outscales blink as HP and damage increase. This is expected, since the blink rush gets +1 armor early, and armor is great vs the fast weapon speed of marines. And of course, more HP = more chances to dodge.

-There isn't much variance regarding the randomness of the 40% dodge mechanic of untouchable. Untouchable probably has a greater effect in very small groups of marines, and when facing slow weapon speed/splash damage. (I once had a marine standing at a tower who killed 3 snipers by himself and took 0 damage lol)

-Weirdly enough, untouchable and blink are by far the most used upgrades, in both pubs and scrims. I guess people prefer blink to snipe high value targets/dodge spells, and untouchable to keep their marines alive for a bit longer vs splash damage. Personally, I use all three upgrades (depending on the situation: rapidfire with melee, untouchable vs splash, blink vs heroes).

What do you guys think about marine epic/minor upgrades, and what do you tend to use more in your games?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Marine Analysis
PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 1:09 am 
Cakasmaloy.1234

wow thanks for this. you pretty much said it all. personally i use combat shield sparingly because it slows the rine movement speed down.

Report this post

PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 7:19 pm 
ModeratorMap DeveloperBeta TesterDonor
[TryHrd] Akash.566
Map Editor

cakasmaloy wrote:
personally i use combat shield sparingly because it slows the rine movement speed down.

This is true, although stopping power slows rine movement speed as well. Stopping power + combat shield is the slowest combination, which is why I usually don't use that unless I rush blink (blink's mobility makes up for the slow speed). The other 2 combos are equally as fast as each other.

Report this post

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 9:37 am 
Donor
[EsYPsY] sexy.121
SeexySauce won a Tournament 3 times.

Rapid fire is a pub upgrade becauseeeeee it does nothing to spell casters which every good player uses at some point in a game. Untouch does good vs spell damage and blink kills hero's soooo. Thats why rapid fire is so unused

Report this post

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 10:23 am 
Donor
MicroJacksonMA won a Tournament 2 times.

I only ever use rapid fire for drops and motherships since that’s when the burst dmg is needed. I would never use rapid personally since it has no movement or anyway of really dodging abilities. As darkness said especially in scrims you really don’t want to get caught out of position and not be able to escape. (This goes for untouchable too)

Report this post

[ 5 posts ]